Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Den is Done

For the most part, this room is done.  I have to wait until the spring to truly finish. Lets just say the tax money for next year has already been spent in my head.  New flooring throughout the house!  I CANT WAIT!  let me just tell you how much I despise having carpet with 4 little boys, 1 big boy, and a dog.... DESPISE!!!! 
Anyway, back to the room...It is comfortable and calming.  Yes, there are normally always, except after bedtime, toys strewn across the floor, but this is the room we live in. 

Reminder of my color board and fabric.


 



Before
 After - really liked the area rug down but it kept moving because of the carpet... once hardwood goes in, then area rug comes back :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The biggest change to the room was structural. We paid to have these two windows replaced with French doors and a small deck put in out back.  Though it was a bit higher than I wanted ($4000 to be exact), I cant imagine not having them now.  Before there was no access to the backyard from house so this has made a world of difference plus it is so much brighter.  We also have a nice little deck off the back of the house.
Before


After

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hated Hated Hated this faux greenish marble stuff on the fire place surround.  I would love to one day do tile or stone or something but until then, I decided why not try painting it?  I used a primer that adheres to anything and then gave it two coats of the dark brown.   I also got rid of the brass thingy. 
Before

 
 After

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before


 
 After
 
 
 
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The Curtains- I bought the panels on clearance on TJ Maxx for $10.  The problem besides just being bland was they were too short.  So, I bought upholstery fabric for less than $15 at Mary Jo's.  Cut out the 4 leaves for each panel and used fabric glue.  Easy, but added a nice custom look to store bought curtains.
Before

After

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Extras




Why, yes, of course I did some stripes. 

 

close up of stuff behind the couch.  The empty frame will be for Bennett's story board once he hits 2. 
 

 

Wow this wall looks empty.  I do have plans for it, but am enjoying that emptiness right now.

The boys book nook.  I thought about organizing this... but who are we kidding?  It would have looked just like this in a couple days. 

In case you cant see the color names on the paper on top...
Wall Color- Lamb's Ear by Valspar
Fireplace/ Bookcase Stripe- Bittersweet by Valspar
The green color didn't really  make an impact in this room, I carried it out a bit more in the laundry room.  And the dark brown color is the couch color.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I think my favorite part is the striped backing in your bookcase. It takes an ordinary built-in and makes it pop! When we finally move into a place of our own again, I'm going to stripe some wall, some where! Love it and the french door conversion is AMAZING! I know it was expensive, but I imagine you added a lot more than that in value to your home!

    ReplyDelete